FIN 110 Unit 1

BLIND CONTOUR SELF PORTRAIT;

I did my blind contour, struggling to make it last a full 30 minutes. I found that if I slowed down too much I would forget where I placed things as I often lifted my pencil to restart a line, and needed to work somewhat quickly in order to obtain structure. I decided to include my hand drawing within the image as I was sat next to a mirror watching myself draw, it felt like a part of the image and was to be included.

I had forgotten to take a photograph immediately after finishing and added in the lines that would create my background before I realized.

The end result.

This image was bordered with the things that fill my head, and I thought carefully about what to add. Having not drawn with pencil since highschool art class, I struggled with getting used to the feeling again and felt fortunate that I was able to take such a doodling approach.

The 10 symbols I included were;

My astrology sign/constellation.

M and dog ears for my puppy Morty.

Closed eyes for the struggles I face with my mental health.

Waves for my love of the ocean.

Geometric shapes for my creative side.

A sun over the mountains as twilight is my favourite hour.

Coffee mugs for my year abroad in Italy, coffee was very grounding to me on the homesick days I spent there.

Snakes and honeycombs as they are tattoos on my body.

Cacti because it is my favourite plant.

Trees in my eyes as I lost my father to a falling accident, a trauma that greatly impacted who I am.